Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Eye of the Storm

Yeah....I didn't want to title this one "Trapped in the Tornado" but only because I didn't want you to think I meant a weather tornado. Otherwise that is pretty much how I feel these days.

Warning: I am about to vent. Proceed with caution.....or just skip this one if you prefer.

Let's start with the beginning...cuz it's cliche and I want to.

Work. Ugh. That four letter word that can often be about as bad as the 'bad' four letter words. But let me qualify...quantify? Don't know...too late at night to care.

I enjoy my job. I have a wonderful job that allows me to be a SAHM. I do in-home care for an elderly couple. They are a wonderful couple and I truly enjoy being around them. The problem that I am currently having with work is not them or even what I do, it's a person I work with. There are several of us as this couple requires 24 hour care and well, I'm sure you get the picture. The person I am referring to seems to be a very friendly and sweet person, however she also seems to have a problem with asking for hours and then turning around and asking the rest of us to help cover quite a few of those hours. This is a mild inconvenience at first, a bit of a frustration after several such times, and the urge to bury my phone when I see her name pop up after several months of repeated 'schedule-adjustments'.
The clouds arrive.

Next comes a bit of non-communication that leaves me wondering just where my-last-week-with-my-hubby went that swirls those building clouds into a bumpy dark green opressiveness.

Then comes lightning and hail: my son is teething. So pretty that lightning when he wants to snuggle with mommy. Not so pretty is the hail when he screams the second I put him down because I'm drowing under a pile of unwashed laundry and dishes.

And finally comes last night. Like a funnel-cloud screaming down from the dark sky, we fight. A lightning bolt of finance breaks the last thread and it all comes crashing down. But this tornado has a twin and the two combine to sweep in the entire family.

11pm the storm seems to be moving past. We finally get everyone to bed and hope the damage isn't too severe.

Although the sun rises and life goes on it does not seem the world is washed clean; I yet see those same clouds on the horizon and sense the tingle in the air. Feeling as though my leaves are stripped away and some of my branches have been broken I can only pray the next storm might have some rain to settle the dust and soothe my weary heart.

2 comments:

NIKIA said...

I am so sorry that you are in the eye of the storm. However, I love this post. You sound like an actual writer, oppose to just the author of this blog. I hope the sun shines with pots of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Momma Em said...

Thank you so much, Nikia! Writing this post was actually very cathartic and your comment certainly was a drop of sunshine. I'm sure I'll get to those rainbows, sunshine and pots of gold soon but in the meantime I'm keeping my umbrella up!